The history of anabolic can be traced back to the early 1930s. Back then, anabolic steroids were still nameless. Around this time, a team of scientists formed a synthetic form of testosterone, the male hormone, to help men who are having problems of producing enough of this hormone to promote their normal growth, development, and sexual functions.
Later, when World War II broke, they found that the synthetic form of testosterone could also be used to help malnourished soldiers in gaining weight and improve performance. After the war, it was the turn of athletes to use anabolic steroids to enhance their performance during competitions.
In the 1956 Olympics, Soviet athletes, most especially the wrestlers, performed at exceptionally high levels. When others learned that the athletes were using testosterone, it led the way for American physician Dr. Zeigler to create a more selective form of the anabolic as it is known today. It is safe to say that anabolic steroids USA is the substance that truly started it all. From that point and up until the 1970s, athletes buy anabolic steroids USA without worries or fears.
It was only in 1975 when the Olympic Committee finally banned the use of steroids in the competition. This led most athletes to the black market where these are sold increasingly. In 1988, the Anti-Drug Abuse Act introduced first major federal regulation of steroids where it introduced stiffer penalties for the sale and possession of anabolic steroids. A few years after, the Congress likewise passed the Anabolic Steroid Enforcement Act of 1990 which places a certain anabolic steroid on Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act. It was previously unscheduled and controlled only by state laws. These days, steroids can be bought legally from some internet vendors like Finest Gears.
How to use Anabolic Steroids
There are three main ways of using steroids: through injection where you would need a needle to directly inject the drug into the blood stream (also known as intravenously) or into the muscle (also known as intramuscularly); there are also some pills and there are gel tabs that can be taken orally, and some come as creams that can be rubbed directly onto the user’s skin.
The drugs can be taken during a single occurrence but there are also some users that opt to use them in complex patterns which is known in the anabolic steroids world as pyramiding, cycling, or stacking. Each of the three methods have an ingested dosage that range from 10 to 100 times higher than what is prescribed for people with medical conditions.
Physical Effects of Anabolic Steroids
There are two ways that taking anabolic steroids can affect the person’s body. Steroids can have androgenic effects which include masculinizing effects that include: deepening of the voice, increased facial hair, enlargement of the male sex glands, and others. Also part of the perceived effects are increase in muscle mass, the size of some of the internal organs, and calcium in the bones. Overall, the process by which steroids work on the body is considered very complex. Steroid hormones work by stimulating the certain parts of the muscle cells. The stimulation also causes an increase in protein production, one of the chemicals that are associated with increase in muscle mass.
Some of the Perceived Short-Term and Long Term Physical Effects
Anabolic steroids are derived from the male sex hormones and for men who choose to take them, these are some of the side effects that they need to watch out for:
Short Term Effects of Anabolic steroids on Men
- It is likely for men to experience reduced sperm count
- The reduced sperm count may also lead to impotence although this can be averted by cleansing.
- The enlargement of the sex gland may make it difficult or painful to urinate
- Some people claim that it could lead to some heart damage although these negative effects need to be proved yet.
- Long-term Effects on Men
- Some claims that continued to hound users of steroids is the supposed liver disease or liver
- cancer that anabolic steroids can cause.
- Some men may develop breasts in the long run.
- Men could also notice a shrinking of the testicles over time.
But, men are not the only ones who are into steroids as women also use them. If a woman decides to use steroids, these masculinization effects could occur:
Short-Term Effects on Women
- Women could notice that there will be significant breast reduction after using anabolic steroids for a period.
- Women could also notice excessive hair growth. Long-term Effects on Women
- Women who take steroids for the long-term may notice their voice deepening.
- Women could also have enlarged clitoris in the long run.
- Most affected is the menstrual cycle in women which could range from abnormal cycles to totally not having any period within the time of taking steroids.
Physical Effects on Both Sexes
The continued use of anabolic steroids can cause some of the effects that are visible for both sexes.
Consider these effects:
- Rapid weight gain
- Fluid retention
- Increased blood pressure and cholesterol level
- Inability to sleep well
- Occurrence of headaches
- Reduced sexual desires
- Increased muscle size
- Swelling of the feet and the ankles
- Improved appetite
- Improved healing
There are also some claims of long-term side effects that include serious health problems like heart attacks, blood clotting and strokes, eve cancer. However, it is worth understanding that there is still a lot of things to prove as to the perceived negative health effects.